If you’ve been browsing our products lately, you might have spotted a category going by the name of ‘Certified B-Corp’ nestled in among them. If your first thought was ‘what’s a B-Corp when it’s at home?’ you’re not the only one - but B-Corps are a kind of business you’ll be hearing much more about in the future. So let’s take a look at what they are and why you should care about them...
What does being a B-Corp mean?
B-Corps - otherwise known as Certified B Corporations - are companies around the world who use business as a force for good. As we all know, actions speak louder than words, so it’s not enough for these companies simply to write ‘we’re good guys’ on their About Us page and leave it at that. Each and every one of them has been rigorously assessed and gained certification that proves they’re upholding the values of a B-Corp. Which, from the horse’s mouth, are as follows:
“Certified B Corps are a new kind of business that balances purpose and profit. They are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on their workers, customers, suppliers, community, and the environment. This is a community of leaders, driving a global movement of people using businesses as a force for good.”
So, why should that matter to you? Well, the long and short of it is that as a consumer, you know that if you buy from a B-Corp then you’re giving your money to a business with a conscience. You’ll know that when you buy your household goods, you’re contributing to a community that’s doing something to improve the world’s problems - like inequality, poverty and climate change.
Time for the weekly shop? Buy from B-Corps...
Here at Caara we’re proud to stock all sorts of household products made by some brilliant B-Corps, and with them all collated into one place it couldn’t be easier to shop from brands you know are doing the world good. Here are some of our favourites for starters...
- Stock your kitchen cupboards with plant-based condiments from B-corp Rubies in the Rubble - we can’t get enough of their delectable plant-based chilli mayo
- Ladies, if you’re searching for sanitary products made by businesses who care, you’ll love B-Corp Dame and their 100% organic cotton tampons
- If you have a furry friend in your life, you’ll want to know about Lily’s Kitchen, a B-corp that conjures up tasty pet food and treats that are both great for your four-legged pal and kind on the planet
- For chemical-free laundry detergent and other household cleaning products, look no further than Wilton, a B-Corp that makes stuff that won’t harm you, your clothes or the environment
- Dr Bronners may have started out in 1948, but by becoming a B-Corp it’s signalling that it has the future of our planet firmly in mind - good to know when you’re luxuriating in their beautifully packaged soaps or cleaning your home with their fantastic biodegradable cleaner
If you want to make sure you’re buying from B-Corps, check out our full range of Certified B-Corp products and do your household shopping in the knowledge that you’re helping build a world with a more inclusive and sustainable future.